Monday, June 20, 2011

Meatless Monday- Sweet Potato Tacos

     Tacos and burritos are always a favorite of mine, you can throw whatever you want into them.  Several years ago in my travels I discovered this dish, I have tried hard to replicate this dish as closely as possible.  This recipe is to me the epitome of cooking with love, I remember so well the first time I had this recipe, I was on a religious mission for my church, and a wonderful Hispanic woman wanted to feed us a nice dinner.  She was a single mother and her finances were extremely limited, she was a field laborer to support her five young kids, and this was the meal she fixed for us.  It was simple dish, but it always stood out in my mind how much a humble woman worked to do something nice for us.  It taught me once again that when you cook with love, amazing things happen.  This is my ode to her amazing sweet potato tacos.


Sweet Potato Tacos

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups canned kidney beans, drained
2 cups water
4 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
4 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste
3 tablespoons soy sauce
4 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
12 (10 inch) flour tortillas, warmed
8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Heat oil in a medium skillet, and saute onion and garlic until soft. Stir in beans, and mash. Gradually stir in water, and heat until warm. Remove from heat, and stir in the chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne pepper and soy sauce.
Divide bean mixture and mashed sweet potatoes evenly between the warm flour tortillas. Top with cheese. Fold up tortillas burrito style, and place on a baking sheet.               
Bake for 12 minutes.

No comments: