Wednesday, May 18, 2011

What I have been reading Wednesday

100 Recipes Every Woman Should Know: Engagement Chicken and 99 Other Fabulous Dishes to Get You Everything You Want in Life     As you all know I love cookbooks, I also love cookbooks with a slight sense of humor at times.  This was a gift from a friend of mine and I have to admit that I was very skeptical of this cookbook. 

     As a GLAMOUR magazine reader I have read numerous times their accolades for the "engagement chicken", girl makes chicken for boyfriend, boyfriend proposes to girl that night or within next few days.  Boy and girl live happily ever after.   I have never made that recipe for a guy before, maybe that is why I am single, highly doubt it, but who knows?   I figured it was just cause I am cynical and fussy, maybe it really is not my fault.  Anyway, I love roasted chicken and I decided to make the recipe all for myself, that's right, not for a guy, not for company, just me, myself and I.  I wonder if that is against the rules for me to make it and not somehow have a man involved.  Oh well.  Hopefully this doesn't mean that I am jinxing this recipe for the others.  Personally I found that lasagna and cheesecake always work well with guys, but maybe roast chicken is the new great way to a guys heart.  Try it out yourself and let me know how it work for you. 


     It turned out well for me.  The chicken was very moist and was very easy to make.  This cookbook is full of solid basic recipes for building up your cooking skills.  Is it a cookbook that I will turn to frequently?  Honestly, it is not, but that is not the fault of the book.  This book is aimed for the young girl finally out on her own cooking with limited resources and limited skills.  And the recipes are all solid, practical, basic recipes to know, had I have had this book when I was first starting out I know I would have used it frequently.  My favorite recipe in the cookbook was "no guy required grilled steak", this book I think would be a great book to give to your favorite high school and college graduates. 

     I think that this cookbook aligns extremely well to that time and season in life.  So definitely go out and get this for the young women in your lives, it will be a good solid beginning step for them in the kitchen.  The one thing I hope that every young girl starting out remembers is to take it easy and enjoy the ride in the kitchen.  You burn something oh well, you mix up salt and sugar, hey it happens.  Enjoy the journey and always cook from the heart and that will be more endearing to any guy than anything else.

No comments: