Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Mango Fool

     "One way can be learned by starting to see the magic in everything.  Sometimes is seems to be hiding but it is always there.  The more we can see the magic in one thing, a tiny flower, a mango, someone we love, then the more we are able to see the magic in everyone.  Where does the mango stop and the sky begin" ~Joshua Kadison

     While I was at the grocery store I saw the most beautiful mangoes at a price of three for a dollar.  As you and I know that is an amazing price for mangoes, so I stocked up and took these fragrant juicy beauties home with me, so far I have made Mango Sticky Rice, Mango Salsa, and today I made Mango Fool.  The name always makes me laugh, I think that this will be the perfect dessert to my Ole Fajitas dinner. 


     Mangoes are one of my favorite fruits, they are so fragrant and juicy and sweet.  Sadly, I feel that they are greatly under utilized in cooking.  They are delicious and so versatile.  I love to use them in so many ways, but especially desserts, cause lets be honest we all love a good dessert.  Try it out and let me know what you think!

Mango Fool


1 1/4 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
1 cup whole milk
1 large egg
1/3 cup sugar
5-6 mangoes diced
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 cup chilled heavy cream
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

Preparation

Add gelatin and 3 tablespoons milk in a small bowl and let soften while making custard. Bring remaining milk and cinnamon just to a boil in a small heavy saucepan, then remove from heat. Whisk together egg and 1/4 cup sugar until combined well, then add hot milk.  Pour custard into pan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly.  Stir in gelatin mixture and cook over low heat, stirring, until dissolved, about 1 minute (do not boil). Pour custard through a sieve into a bowl and cool, stirring occasionally.

Puree mangoes with remaining sugar and lime juice in a blender until very smooth and push through metal colander into custard. Stir until combined well, then chill until cold but not set, about 1 hour.

Beat cream with an electric mixer until it just holds stiff peaks, then fold into mango custard.  Chill, covered, at least 8 hours.          

No comments: