Sunday, May 22, 2011

Everyday Elegance, Orange Lavender Creme Brulee

     A recipe has no soul. You, as the cook, must bring soul to the recipe. ~Thomas Keller

     I always love going to friend's homes for the first time.  It is always interesting to see if the home is indicative of the friend's personality.  I like to think that my home is just like what I try to be, warm, inviting, cozy, organized, elegant and totally girly and feminine.  I try to invoke the same emotions in my kitchen.  I want my food to feel like you can sit down with me as a friend at my kitchen table and get a picture of who I am as a person.

     I grew up reading all of the classic books, and wondering what it would have been like to have lived in the Victorian era, what it would have been like to have gone to tea with Anne Shirley, or to New York with Jo March, or parties with Polly Milton.  I loved the elegance of the descriptions I would read, as the authors would talk about the fine china present, and the doilies and the silver, and then how they would mention the food, it always seemed so simple, yet so perfectly elegant.  Simple, yet perfectly elegant is what I try to recreate in the kitchen.


     To me this recipe is so girly and so elegant, yet so easy to make.  I have made this for numerous ladies luncheons, book clubs and bridal and baby showers.  It will become a favorite of yours as well.  I tried to put my soul into this recipe, I hope that you can feel that when you try it as well, be sure to add some of yourself to the recipe as well!

Lavender Creme Brulee

Ingredients

1 Vanilla Bean
1 Tbsp Dried Lavender Buds
2 1/2 Heavy Cream
8 Egg Yolks
1/3 cup Sugar (fine)
3 Tbsp Powdered Sugar
1 Tbsp Orange Zest

Directions

Split the vanilla bean in half, put the vanilla, orange zest and lavender in a saucepan. Pour the cream into the pan, then bring almost to a boil. Take off the heat and let cool.

Whisk together egg yolks and sugar until the mixture lightens to a creamy yellow. 

Reheat the cream, then temper into the eggs, by adding a little cream at a time while continuously whisking.  

Place 6 ramekins in a glass dish, dividing the custard evenly between them. Pour warm water halfway up the sides of the dishes in the pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until custards are set with a slight wiggle in the center when you shake them.

Let the custards cool in the water, then refrigerate for 5-6 hours. About 30 minutes before serving, sprinkle the tops with powdered sugar, and then carmelize using a blowtorch.

1 comment:

Butrcreamblondi said...

You can tell so much about a person when you go to their home! So creme brulee is my all time favorite dessert, and yours sounds awesome with the addition of lavender!