Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Thoughts on Cooking

     “Some people like to paint pictures, or do gardening, or build a boat in the basement. Other people get a tremendous pleasure out of the kitchen, because cooking is just as creative and imaginative an activity as drawing, or wood carving, or music.”

Julia Child (1912-2004)


     Why do we cook?  What is our purpose behind cooking? Where do we draw our inspiration with our cooking?  I love cooking, I find it to be an outlet of expressing myself, my cooking reflects my upbringing with a modern flair.  Or at least I hope I have some flair with my cooking.  Regardless, I love what I do and always find cooking to be an enjoyable way to spend some time.  I do love to see what I can create from unlikely pairings.  Call it silly, but I have a list of ingredients all on individual pieces folded up in a container.  Sometimes I draw five ingredients at random and then make a meal from those five ingredients.  It is kind of like having my own at home version of Chopped.  It is always interesting to see what the end result is.

     Sometimes we cook out of necessity, sometimes for the admiration of others, sometimes just to get it done, but in my humble opinion, when the magic really happens, is when we cook from the heart and out of love.  There are so many different cooking styles, and philosophies on food, sadly many times we hear what is wrong with food, instead of what is right with food.  I believe that food can be healthy and delicious at the same time.  There can be a real artistry to cooking, I try to incorporate that artistry into my daily life.  I have been truly blessed with great friends, and an amazing family.  I want them to always know how much I appreciate them, for me I find that cooking from the heart is a way for me to express those sentiments.  Really food is a language all its own, and it is a universal language, it speaks to all of us individually.

     That being said, I do have to work hard on making sure that recipes are healthy, and provide some semblance of nutrition.  For the most part I eat very healthy, do I eat my desserts?  You had better believe it, but I try to lighten the recipes, and I go to the gym and it all works out in the end.  Portion control also has proven to be crucial for me, it has made all of the difference in the world.  So many times we hear that eating healthy means deprivation, or sacrificing flavor.  It does not have to be that way, clean healthy eating can be amazing.

     Why do you cook?  What goes through your mind in the kitchen?  What are you trying to convey through your cooking?

1 comment:

sandy axelrod said...

My husband and I love garlic especially in scampi!