Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sunday Lamb Dinner

     I love Sundays, I firmly believe that they are a day to meditate, relax and recharge for the upcoming week.  Growing up they were a great day to bring the family together and bond.  I remember Sundays at home, we would all pile into the family car and go to church in our Sunday best, then come home and Mom would have an amazing Sunday dinner that she would prepare for us.

     One of my favorite Sunday dinners is lamb, I have always loved lamb and it makes a lovely dinner, one for just the family or fancy enough when there are guests coming to visit.  This particular recipe is also excellent to use the leftovers in kebabs or stews.  So much that you can do with lamb.  I usually serve mine with a risotto and asparagus and a green salad, but really anything goes.  I know I am looking forward to my Sunday dinner today, hopefully you are too!


Sunday Lamb Dinner

Ingredients

1 trimmed 6-pound boneless leg of lamb, butterflied to 2-inch thickness
8 garlic cloves,
1/2 cup spicy Dijon mustard
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped parsley

Preparation

Using tip of small knife, make 1/2-inch-deep slits all over lamb. Thinly slice 4 garlic cloves. Insert garlic slices into slits in lamb. Combine remaining 4 garlic cloves, mustard, olive oil, white wine, rosemary, parsley and lemon juice in processor.

Baste underside of lamb with marinade mixture.  Place lamb, seasoned side down, in glass baking dish. Spread remaining marinade over top of lamb. Cover lamb and chill overnight.

Bake at 450 degrees F for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 400 degrees F and roast for 55 to 60 more minutes for medium rare. The internal temperature should be at least 145 degrees F. Let the roast rest for about 10 minutes before carving.

2 comments:

Mother Rimmy said...

I've never made leg of lamb. You make it look like something I could tackle. What a wonderful Sunday supper.

Kristi

Susan Lindquist said...

I like the Dijon treatment on this roast! No more mint jelly ... yippee!