Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sunday Afternoon Treat

     I love Sundays, such nice relaxing days full of inspiration.  Every Sunday I try to make some sort of treat to make Sunday even a bit more special.  These scones are great Sundays or really anytime,   I love the tang of the orange zest and the dried currants.   Usually I serve these with honey butter or lemon curd, and a nice mug of hot chocolate.  It is a little indulgence, but you do have to find time for the little indulgences in life.

     Whenever I eat these I try to pretend I am in England, instead of just dreaming of being there.  I love a lot of the British recipes, there is always something so refined and elegant about their cooking style.  Something that makes even the most simple of recipes into something really special.  That is what cooking is all about though.  Taking simple raw ingredients and making something extraordinary from them.  I love it when I can use simple things and make something worthy of sharing with the people I care about, so try a batch of these for the people close to you.


Dried Currant Scones


Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour, unsifted
3 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp granulated sugar
½ tsp salt
4 tbsp butter
3 eggs
½ cup heavy cream
½ cup dried currants
1 tbsp orange zest
Preparation:

Preheat oven to 400°F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.

Cut butter into the flour until the mixture resembles crumbs.

In a separate bowl, beat two eggs and stir in the cream. Then stir the egg-cream mixture into the dry ingredients.

Stir in currants.

Turn the dough out onto a floured board and press it together into a single lump. If it doesn't hold together yet, add water (you could use milk, too, or more cream) a tablespoon at a time, until it does.

Roll dough out to a thickness of 1 inch. Cut into rounds with fluted pastry cutter.

Prepare your baking sheet pan by greasing it with butter or shortening or lining it with parchment paper.

Place scones on the baking sheet.

Separate the third egg and beat the egg white. Then brush the tops of the scones with the egg white.

Bake 15 minutes or until golden.

No comments: