Monday, April 4, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake & Food for a Princess


     When I was a little girl sometimes my mother would make strawberry shortcake for me.  As a little girl I thought it was food fit  for a princess, after all it was sweet and fluffy, and most importantly pink.  In the summers my parents would take us to the u-pick berry farms where we got to pick our own strawberries, it was so much fun!  Mom would make shortcake, and also mom's famous freezer jam, a jam for which I still get cravings for to this day.

     As a little girl I would often ask for some sort of pink dessert for my birthday, but this was always my favorite.  Strawberry shortcake was always so pretty, as a little girl I felt like a grown up eating it, like I was a princess, instead of just a little girl playing dress up.  This is a recipe that I make frequently in the spring and summer when you can get those beautiful ripe, sweet strawberries.  This is a great dessert for a weeknight dinner, or a great dessert also for a ladies luncheon.  I am sure once you try this recipe you will find many reasons to make it.


Love From Scratch Strawberry Shortcake

Ingredients:

Scones:

2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup unsalted butter
1 egg
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup half and half

Filling:

2 pounds strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tablespoon lemon zest

Topping:

1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
Directions:

Scones:
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or two knives. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs. Whisk together the egg, cream and vanilla extract and add to the flour mixture, mixing just until the dough comes together.
Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead dough gently four or five times and then pat or roll the dough into a circle that is round and about 1 inch thick. With a 3 round cookie cutter, cut out rounds and place the scones on the baking sheet. Make an egg wash of one well-beaten egg mixed with 1 tablespoon cream and brush the tops of the scones with this mixture.

Bake at 300 degrees for about 15 - 20 minutes or until nicely browned.  Transfer to a wire rack.

Filling:

Place about one third of the strawberries in a large bowl and crush them with a potato masher or fork. Add the remaining sliced strawberries, along with the sugar and lemon zest.  Set aside to macerate at room temperature for about 30 to 60 minutes.

Whipped cream:

In a large mixing bowl place the whipping cream, vanilla extract, lemon zest, and sugar and stir to combine. Cover and chill the bowl and beaters in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. When chilled, beat the mixture until stiff peaks form.
To assemble:

Cut the scones in half and place the bottom half of the scone on a dessert plate. Top with some of the strawberries and whipped cream. Place the top half of the scone on the strawberries. Top with whipped cream and a few more strawberries.  Serve immediately.

Serves about 8 people.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

This looks so good! Thank you for befriending on Foodbuzz.

loftyappetite said...

I just did a similar post. Yours looks so delicious! I'm fascinated with the green smoothie movement and all the amazing benefits that everyone is raving about. I'm already a smoothie addict so it didn't take long for me to get sucked in. Still waiting for my skin to start glowing tho...