Friday, April 1, 2011

Springtime Blood Orange Salad


     Has everyone had a chance to try blood oranges yet?  If not please do.  I am so in love with these little beauties.  They really are so juicy and sweet, and cook like a dream! Lately blood oranges have been on sale in my local supermarket (hence my constant usage of them), and they are so amazing that I try to incorporate them into my recipes anytime I can right now.  I find myself having to go to a lot of gatherings where I need to bring a dish or salad, this is one that every time I make people ask for the recipe.  I am honestly embarrassed at how easy it is, but it is still delicious every single time.  I love how this recipe makes me think of spring and warm weather.  It is a great dinner salad, or also a great lunch salad, and healthy too!  Who says healthy food can't be full of flavor and mouth-watering?


Springtime Blood Orange Salad

Ingredients

1/4 cup fresh blood orange juice
2 tablespoons minced shallots
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons (packed) grated orange peel
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh fennel bulb
2 tablespoons chopped fennel fronds
3 blood oranges (seeds removed)
12 cups arugula spinach mix
3/4 cup chopped green onions
1/3 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
1 clove garlic minced
2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds


Preparation:

Whisk orange juice, shallots, garlic, thyme, orange peel, pomegranate seeds, and honey in bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in oil, then fennel and fennel fronds. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.

Cut peel and white pith from oranges.  Segment oranges.

Combine greens, green onions, and toasted pine nuts in bowl, add orange segments to salad. Toss salad and season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

No comments: