Saturday, April 2, 2011

Orange Lavender Shortbread

     I firmly believe that if I start cooking and writing about all of my favorite springtime recipes that the weather will finally take the hint and follow suit.  Don't try to talk logic to me, that's my belief and I am sticking with it!  To me no flavor says spring more than lemon or citrus,  It is so light, refreshing, and invigorating.  Whenever I eat these I can picture myself at a beautiful estate in a flowing dress and enjoying a lazy afternoon.  Or it could just be me eating them as I clean and do laundry around the home, both options work, even if option A sounds far more romantic.

    
     This is a great recipe to make for bridal showers, afternoon teas, baby showers.  All of which are things that will be coming up all this spring and summer it seems.  I love to have a plate of these with a tall glass of lemonade and read a book outside and just enjoy the world around me.  Give them a try and see where they take your imagination.

Orange Lavender Shortbread

Ingredients:
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons dried lavender blossoms, chopped
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a medium bowl, mix the sugar with the chopped lavender and orange zest.
 
Beat in the butter at moderate speed. At low speed, beat in the flour and salt until a soft dough forms.
 
Transfer the dough to a sheet of wax paper and refrigerate for 60 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350°.

Roll the dough out to 1/2 inch thickness.  Cut into squares, or cut with a biscuit cutter
Bake the shortbread for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned. Transfer the baked shortbread to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments: