Monday, April 11, 2011

Meringues

    I always love an easy and inexpensive desserts, there is something so satisfying creating something decadent from practically nothing.  These are lighter than air and addictive, you will definitely want to have more than just one!  I make these often for just myself, but this time I am making these to teach a friend of mine an easy and cheap dessert.  This makes about forty to fifty meringues and costs under a dollar, bargain, I think so!    Sometimes I use different flavorings and food colors for different events.  I make them in pastel colors for petty much every baby shower I go to.  Also I love that these store so well, if you put them in an airtight container they will last for up to three weeks.  Try these yourself, I am sure you will be very pleased with the results!


Meringues

2 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:

Heat oven to 225°F and line two cookie sheets with aluminum foil.

Beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Slowly add sugar and keep beating until stiff peaks form. (DO NOT underbeat.) If using extract and food coloring, add at the end and beat for another 2 or 3 minutes.

Spoon mixture into a plastic bag and squeeze out most of the air. Cut off one small corner of the bag and pipe cookie-sized dollops of meringue on to cookie sheets, about 1 inch apart.

Bake 60 to 75 minutes, until slightly browned.

No comments: