Sunday, April 3, 2011

Ice Cream Sundae Memories...Turtle Sundaes


     119 years is a long time, a VERY long time.  Today is the 119 year anniversary of the first documented ice cream sundae.  Ice cream has always had a soft spot in my heart, after all who doesn't love ice cream.  My very first job as a kid was working in a ice cream parlor.  It was the "cool" job to have, no really it was in my hometown.  I never got sick of all of the different sundae and shake creations that we could make.

     One of my favorite parts of the job was how many times we would have grandparents come in with their grandchildren to enjoy a treat.  Our ice cream store had been in the town for a very long time, and was a local institution.  It was where everyone went to celebrate after the local football games, or where people would go for a treat after movie and a dinner on a date.  To this day that was one of my most favorite jobs.  I really did love the clean floors, and ice cream freezers full of goodies, and the sprinkles and toppings everywhere you looked.  I also remember the long lines that would go out the door of people waiting to get a treat.



     As I said, this was a prestigious job for a teenager in my hometown, I remember well when I went to training for the job and they handed me a thick packet of all of the shake and sundae recipes, and a detailed list of the ingredients of every single ice cream flavor.  I was instructed to read these recipes and memorize every single one of them,  and that I would have to take a test on the recipes, it may sound silly but to this day I can still remember every single one of them.  I have to many favorite treats from that job, my favorite is always going to be the turtle sundae, it is pure decadence, but worth every single calorie.  I have my own version of a turtle sundae that I would love to share with you.  I am sure you will enjoy it as much as I have.

Turtle Sundae

4 oz scoop butter pecan ice cream (vanilla is fine too, I just prefer butter pecan)
2 tablespoons hot fudge sauce
1 tablespoon caramel sauce
2 tablespoons chopped pecans
whipped cream
maraschino cherry for garnish

I know it's a simple and ridiculous recipe, but honestly ice cream is supposed to be one of life's simple pleasures, let's not complicate it when it doesn't need to be.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Magnolia said...

What a neat post! Thank you for sharing!