Wednesday, April 27, 2011

I am so craving Oatmeal Cookies!


     I love cookies, there is something about cookies and milk that makes every day brighter and better.  When I was a kid my mom used to make cookies and us younger kids would have to try to sneak as many cookies away as possible before the older kids got home and ate all of them, and believe you me I do mean ALL of them.  I have updated my mom's recipe just a little bit, and I do have to say I think these cookies are amazing.  The recipe makes four dozen cookies, so it gives you plenty to share and enjoy.  One of the things that I love about this cookie is that it is a nice hearty cookie, really one cookie is all that you need at one time, also these cookies travel well in a purse or bag.  Whenever I make these I toss a couple in a ziploc bag in my purse for the next day.   Try these, you will love them!


Love From Scratch Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients


3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup dried cranberries
2/3 cup mini chocolate chips

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together oats, flour, wheat germ, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt and sugars and mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add oat mixture; mix until just combined. Mix in dried cranberries and chocolate chips.

Drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly.
Bake until golden and just set, about 14 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks; let cool completely.

3 comments:

Candace said...

Funny, I'm totally craving the same thing! I love the dried cranberries in place of the raisins...nice little twist on a classic. Can't wait to try these! Do you know how approx. how many cookies this will make?

Love from Scratch said...

This recipe will make four dozen medium sized cookies. Let me know how it works for you! Enjoy!

cakewhiz said...

i am a sucker for cakes and cookies... your cookies look perfect. lovely picture too :)