Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Happy National Peach Cobbler Day!!!

     Happy National Peach Cobbler Day!  What you didn't know it was National Peach Cobbler Day?  Neither did I until last night when I stumbled across on an article on it, and let's just be honest any excuse I can find to justify making and eating peach cobbler makes me happy.  As a southern girl at heart I love my peach cobblers, they always hit the spot and are always a perfect dessert.  Sadly, some people don't appreciate cobbler as I think they should, true it isn't an overly fancy dessert, and really is made from humble ingredients.  So many times I hear people say they wont make cobblers for company because it isn't fancy or impressive enough.  Seriously?   It tastes good and people love it and it is so easy to make, what could be better?



     I love making these after I have gone to a farmers market and have fresh local peaches, so amazing!  My recipe has less sugar then most recipes, primarily because when you use fresh in season peaches they are already so sweet, when I make this recipe with frozen peaches during the winter I do add a little more sugar to taste to compensate.  Some people serve their cobbler with whipped cream, I always serve mine with a small scoop of french vanilla ice cream.  So try this and enjoy National Peach Cobbler Day!

Love From Scratch Peach Cobbler

Batter

1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup room temperature milk
1 room temperature egg

Filling

6-7 medium peaches
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Directions:

Melt butter in a 9 x 13 inch pan.  Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder & salt.  Stir in milk & egg.

Pour evenly over melted butter.  Combine peaches, sugar & spices and spread over batter, do NOT stir!

Bake at 350 degrees for 55-65 minutes.

No comments: