Sunday, April 17, 2011

Down South Gingerbread

     I adore gingerbread, it is so spicy and flavorful, and when made right it just melts in your mouth.  Not as many people make it any more, I wonder why that is.   It seems that now people primarily only make it around the holidays.  Growing up we had this frequently in our house, my brothers and I loved it.  I love that it is a nice easy cake to make, that really is perfect for any time.  When I lived in the South I saw all sorts of different ways to make gingerbread, it was a popular dessert of the colonial south, and everyone felt that their Grandma had the best recipe for gingerbread ever.  I personally think that mine is the best, but isn't that what cooking is all about?  Creating recipes that best suit your tastes?  I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.


Down South Gingerbread

Ingredients

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 cup molasses
3/4 cup hot water
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
Additional nutmeg

Directions

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs; beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Stir in the molasses and hot water. Combine flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Beat just until combined.

Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool.

In a large mixing bowl, beat cream and confectioners' sugar until soft peaks form. Serve with gingerbread. Sprinkle with nutmeg.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I love gingerbread too! It reminds me of my childhood. My mother would buy me home made gingerbread cookies from a local farm near our house while she went to pick up vegetables.