Saturday, April 2, 2011

Rose Macaroons, Elegance at its finest!


     Do you ever find yourself getting a "foodie gift", and then not being quite sure how to use it?  I love to try new things and experiment, but sometimes the hardest thing for me is deciding what to try first.  Such was the case with this little creation.  A good friend of mine gave me a bottle of french rose flower syrup.  Even then name sounds so fancy and elegant.

     I wanted to do this gift justice in everything that I made with it, one of the most elegant desserts to me are macaroons.  So I tweaked with my macaroon recipe and came up with this, the results were so scrumptious, and really it was a treat fit for a princess.  I love the satisfaction that comes from another successful new creation.  I am still trying to figure out what I will try next with my precious syrup, any ideas?


French Rose Syrup Macaroons

Ingredients

1 lb powdered sugar
2 cups whole blanched almonds
6 large egg whites
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons french rose syrup

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Place the icing sugar and almonds in a food processor and process until it looks like powder. In a large bowl beat the egg whites until they are stiff.

Gradually beat in the granulated sugar until glossy peaks form. Gently fold the nut mixture into the egg whites along with the rose syrup.

Using a pastry bag with star nozzle, pipe the dough into 1 inch rounds that are placed 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets.

Let the cookies air dry on the sheets, on the counter, until they are no longer glossy, from 15 to 30 minutes. Bake cookies one pan at a time for 10-15 minutes until they appear dry.

Carefully transfer the parchment paper with the macaroons onto a cooling rack.

Store in an airtight container.

No comments: