Sunday, April 3, 2011

Comfort Food & Me Time...Rice Pudding


     Who doesn't love comfort food, especially on a dreary and gloomy day?  This is one of my favorite feel good recipes, it is so easy and so satisfying.  It is another one of those recipes that will invoke all sorts of memories when you have it, and it is always a crowd pleaser.  Even people that think they don't like rice pudding love this one.  I also find this is a great dessert of treat when you have an upset stomach, at least it always makes me feel better.

     So grab a quilt and a bowl of this and find a nice movie on t.v., and put up your feet and relax.  It is interesting I was watching the movie "Eat, Pray, Love" not too long ago and it always strikes me when they say that we never master the art of relaxing.  I am busy just like all of you, but I know I am so much more productive when I have scheduled some "me time" for myself.  So you have earned it, enjoy!


Love From Scratch Rice Pudding

1/2 cup plain cooked rice
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/2 cup raisins
3 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preparation:

In a large mixing bowl, mix all ingredients except nutmeg. Pour mixture into a lightly buttered shallow baking dish and sprinkle with nutmeg. Place baking dish in a pan of hot water in oven and bake at 300° for about 1 1/2 hours, or until set. A clean knife inserted into the center should come out clean. Garnish with cinnamon and raisins.

1 comment:

Cristina said...

Although I haven't made rice pudding on my own, I do consider it a comfort food because my Mom makes a fantastic one!

I will need to try your recipe and luv how you spent the time watching "Eat, Pray, Love" and cozying up with some rice pudding! =)