Thursday, April 14, 2011

Chicken Meatball Soup

     I love watching cooking shows, and especially cooking competition shows.  Last night I watched Top Chef Masters, I absolutely love that show, and I try to think what I would make if I was in the same situation.  The quickfire challenge was to make the perfect meatball, the winner made a Vietnamese chicken meatball.  If it had been me I would have made a meatball soup, course I am a huge soup fan to begin with.  So many cooking shows inspire me to look at my own cooking through new eyes, and to branch out to new things.

     I always get rave reviews anytime I make this soup, it is a nice light soup that is my take on the traditional meatball soup.  Usually I make a nice loaf of crusty sourdough bread and enjoy a bowl of this soup.  It is also a great soup to have on some of the grey and gloomy days that have been in my area lately.  The aroma from this soup and flavors will definitely brighten any day.


Chicken Meatball Soup

Ingredients:

Broth:

6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3 whole star anise
3 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 2-inch long piece of ginger
1 clove garlic, smashed
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1/3 cup green onions, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons mint, chopped

Meatballs

1 pound ground chicken
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon Thai chili sauce
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
pinch of salt and pepper

Noodles

6 cups boiling water
6 ounces glass or cellophane noodles

Preparation

In a 3-quart or larger covered casserole, combine the chicken broth, star anise, cloves, cinnamon stick, ginger, garlic and fish sauce. Bring to a simmer, cover and continue to cook for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the ground chicken, minced garlic, cornstarch, fish sauce, Thai chili sauce and lime juice. Form into 1-inch diameter meatballs, place on a plate and set aside. The meatballs will be slightly sticky.

Place the glass noodles in another large bowl and cover with the boiling water. Allow to soak until soft and pliable, but not mushy, about 12 to 15 minutes.

With a large slotted spoon, fish out the spices,  and ginger and from the broth. Add the meatballs, one at a time, to prevent them from sticking together. Add the chili garlic sauce and fresh lime juice. Continue to simmer until the meatballs are cooked through, about 10 minutes.

Divide the noodles between four serving bowls. Top each with a portion of the scallions, cilantro and mint. Ladle the meatballs and broth over each noodle bowl and serve with lime wedges and a small dish of extra chili garlic sauce if desired.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Yum! Seattle stays more or less dreary until July so soup is just the thing. I'm definitely bookmarking this recipe. Thanks for sharing!