Friday, April 1, 2011

Biscotti Memories

     I remember very well the first time I had biscotti.  I was in high school and working in the mall, on a lunch break I stopped my the mall coffee place to get a hot chocolate and a muffin.  As I got my hot chocolate with whipped cream and sprinkles, thank you very much, the barista asked me if I had ever had biscotti.  I said that I hadn't, she told me to try it and I wouldn't be disappointed.  I followed her heed, and oh my goodness the biscotti I had that day was amazing! 

     I love to have biscotti with my hot chocolate or apple cider, or even just a large glass of milk.  It is really the grown up and elegant version of milk and cookies.  I have made these time and time again, and also often give them as housewarming gifts with some mugs and hot chocolate, or as a nice pick me up gift.  Biscotti is so easy to make, and the homemade biscotti tastes so much better than any of the packaged ones that you see in the store.  These are my three favorite recipes, try them yourselves, make up your favorite hot drink get a good book and sit down and enjoy!


Double Chocolate Biscotti

Ingredients

1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup margarine, softened
1/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Cream together the sugar, margarine and oil until smooth. Stir in the vanilla and egg. Combine the flour, cocoa, and baking powder. Stir into the creamed mixture. Fold in the chocolate chips. Cover, and chill dough for 10 minutes.

Divide the dough into two equal pieces. Roll each piece into a log about 9 inches long. Place the logs onto the greased cookie sheets about 4 inches apart. Flatten each one down to 1 inch thickness.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until firm. Cool on sheets for 15 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

Using a serrated knife, slice each loaf crosswise into 3/4 inch slices. Return slices to the baking sheet cut side down and bake for an additional 8 to 10 minutes on each side, until dry and lightly toasted. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

Spicy Gingerbread Biscotti

Ingredients

1/3 cup oil
1 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1/4 cup molasses
3 1/4
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger
3/4 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees

Mix together oil, sugar, eggs, and molasses. In another bowl, combine flours, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg; mix into egg mixture to form a stiff dough.

Divide dough in half, and shape each half into a roll the length of the cookie. Place rolls on cookie sheet, and pat down to flatten the dough to 1/2 inch thickness.

4.Bake in oven for 25 minutes.
When cool to touch, cut into 1/2 inch thick diagonal slices. Place sliced biscotti on cookie sheet, and bake an additional 5 to 7 minutes on each side.

Orange Cranberry Biscotti

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons orange zest
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped dried cranberries
3/4 cup toasted and chopped almonds

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in egg. Stir in the orange zest and sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon, stir into the creamed mixture, then stir in the almonds and dried cranberries.

Divide the dough in half. Roll each half into a log about 1 1/2 inches wide and 10 inches long. Set the rolls lengthwise on a baking sheet at least 3 inches apart, and flatten slightly.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until firm to the touch and slightly brown on the top.

Cool for 10 to 15 minutes, then slice each log crosswise, at a diagonal, into 1/2 inch wide slices. Lay them cut side down on the baking sheet and return to the oven for ten minutes, turn them over and bake for 10 more minutes.

1 comment:

Christina said...

I love biscotti! These are some great recipes! Beautiful photos too!