Friday, April 8, 2011

Aprons & Petit Fours

"Glamour Girl" Pink Sequin Apron by Haute in the Kitchen TM     How cute and totally girly is this?  I love aprons, I have tons of them, and I have a special affinity for vintage aprons.  I grew up with aprons, my mother always wore aprons and as a kid I thought that every grown woman wore aprons.  I thought that was when you were really a grown-up when you had aprons of your own that you got to wear when you were cooking.  As I have gotten older I have realized that perhaps I had an idyllic look on things, however I still have to say I adore my aprons and will always be wearing them.  This apron I found online and it was seriously screaming my name.  This apron I am hoping will be a great hostess apron, or just a anytime apron as well.  It makes me feel like I should cook something fancy whenever I wear it. 


     Everyone loves fancy food, there is something that just makes you feel so indulged.  I remember when I was a little girl how badly I wanted to try petit fours or tea cakes.  I had been reading a couple different books that mentioned those and I thought how elegant they sounded and how I could be a grown up too if I tried them.  Now when I make them or eat them I don't know that I feel anymore grown up, but they do always make me smile as I remember the little girl daydreaming in her bedroom about all of these elegant delicacies.  Definitely try these, make them for tea parties, bridal showers or just whenever.  They are extremely addictive you will want to eat the whole batch.

Love From Scratch Totally Grown-up Petit Fours

Ingredients:

For Cake:

1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
3 egg whites

For Fruit Glaze:

12 oz. raspberry preserves
3 tbsp. water

For Icing:

9 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Food coloring, (optional)

Garnish:

Tiny edible sugar flowers and/or leaves, for decorating tops of petit fours

Directions

For Cake:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C). Grease and lightly flour a 9-inch (23cm) square baking pan.
In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar. Beat in the vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gently fold into batter.

Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove cake from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto a plate or cooling rack; then chill cake in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.

Remove cake from refrigerator. Cut a thin slice off each side of chilled cake. Cut cake into 1-1/4-inch  squares.  Place squares 1/2 inch apart on a cooling rack.  Apply fruit glaze evenly over tops and sides of cake squares, allowing excess to drip off. Let dry. Repeat if necessary to thoroughly coat squares. Let glaze dry completely.

For Preparing The Fruit Glaze:

In a medium size saucepan, heat preserves with the 3 tbsp. water on low heat. Drizzle or spread a thin layer of heated preserves over cooled tops and sides of petit fours before icing. (If using jelly, you do not need to add water to it, just heat jelly in saucepan on low heat and spread over cooled tops and sides of petit fours).

To Prepare Icing:

Combine all icing ingredients in the top of a double boiler. Heat over boiling water to lukewarm. Pour icing over tops and sides of petit fours. Once they are set, they should be coated with icing again. After icing hardens, decorate tops of each petit four with a tiny edible sugar flower and/or leaf.

Makes 2 1/2 dozen petit fours.

2 comments:

Kim - Liv Life said...

Wow!! You have me with this one. I have never actually made petit fours, but I love them. These looks just wonderful! And I'm with you on the apron. I tend to use one only when I'm cooking with nicer clothes on, and now that I think about it, my old smudged apron is probably in need of repair. I'm going to see what I can find!!

Butrcreamblondi said...

Um I don't know how I missed this but I need this apron!!!! LOVE!