Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Ambrosia

     In Greek mythology Ambrosia was considered the food of the Gods, and would give immortality to any who ate it.  While I am not convince that is the case, I am always looking for healthy recipes, especially ones for dessert.  I have always loved ambrosia and fix it frequently, its easy and healthy and tastes great.  My particular  ambrosia recipe is very different then a lot of the recipes you see in the cookbooks, I don't add whipped cream, I just have the flavors of the fruits melding together, because this recipe is nice and low calorie you can use this as a dessert or even a snack or breakfast dish, today it is my breakfast. Yummy!


Ambrosia

Ingredients


1/2 cup slivered almonds (toasted)
1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut (toasted)
2 cups pineapple (in chunks)
5 oranges
2 red apples, cored and diced
1 banana sliced
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Fresh mint leaves for garnish

Directions

Toast the almonds and coconut.
Segment the oranges and combine the pineapple, oranges, apples, and banana. Toss gently to mix well. Divide the fruit mixture evenly among individual bowls.  In a sauce pan melt the honey and lemon juice, drizzle over the fruit.  Sprinkle evenly with the toasted almonds and coconut and garnish with the mint. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

Magic of Spice said...

Such a lovely classic...I adore toasted coconut :)