Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Simplicity at it's Finest, Olive Tapenade

   Sometimes the best things are the simplest.  As a child I was usually in the kitchen every afternoon with my mom, she would be preparing dinner as I would recap the day's activities.  Mom would always have something ready in the kitchen to snack on until dinner was ready, as an adult I do the same thing.  I love to visit in the kitchen, its the best place to be!

     If you were in my kitchen, more than likely I would be at the stove and I would have you sitting at the kitchen  counter on a stool as we catch up on what is going on in each other's life.  I always make sure there is something available to snack on till meals are served.  This is a staple that I always have in my kitchen, tapenade.  It is so easy to make and so flavorful.   Close your eyes and you can imagine yourself in the Mediterranean on vacation.  There are so many uses for tapenade too, my favorite is to have it on some nice crusty french bread, what a great way to start a meal!  I love Mediterranean cooking, I love the simplicity of it and how the true flavors of the food speak out instead of processed additives.  One warning on this recipe though, it is very addictive.

Olive Tapenade

Ingredients

1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
1/2 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. capers
2 anchovy fillets
1/3 cup chopped artichoke hearts drained
1/4 tsp. chopped fresh basil leaves
1/4 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary leaves
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil

Instructions

Process olives, garlic, capers, anchovies, artichokes, basil,  and rosemary in food processor or blender.

Drizzle in 2 tablespoons olive oil & chill.

No comments: