Monday, March 28, 2011

Thoughts on Breakfast in Bed...

     I love to have people visit, and I want all of my guests to feel comfortable and at home.  As I have mentioned I am redecorating my home, and trying to make things as inviting as possible.  I really try my hardest to make things just perfect for people when they come into my home.  I try to be a perfect hostess, but as we all know perfection sometimes is a journey more than a destination.  I know we all see the magazines and commercials of people lounging in bed and leisurely having breakfast.


     I myself have never actually had breakfast in bed.  Unless you count being in the hospital, and if you do count that I would contend that the food shouldn't have been counted as breakfast, hate hospital food.  I should do that for myself sometime, make myself breakfast in bed and enjoy it.  Its the little things right?  I know exactly what I would have too,  french toast or waffles, with a poached egg and a side of hash browns and bacon, fresh fruit and a glass of milk and a glass of orange juice.  Just thinking about that does sound awfully self-indulgent.  Sometimes you have to treat yourself to little luxuries. 

     To update you on my redecorating, the only two rooms left to finish are the guest bedroom and the master bedroom, I have to admit I am a bit of a perfectionist so things have to be just so.  In the master I have a beautiful white matelasse comforter that I adore.  Close to where I live there is an amazing store for upholstery fabrics, I went and purchased a few fabrics to add  some color to my room.  I will be making valances and a few decorative pillows, I haven't quite decided what else though.  I am sharing one of my favorite breakfast/brunch dishes, it is not at all healthy for you, so definitely have it sparingly, and be ready to have a little extra time at the gym during the week.  This is a great weekend to make for company, it is a huge crowd pleaser

Blueberry Stuffed French Toast

Ingredients:

Toast 12 slices of thick bread (Texas Toast-Remove the crusts from the bread and cube)
2- 8-ounce packages of cream cheese
1 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries
10 eggs
1/3-cup maple syrup
2 cups milk

Spray the bottom of a 9x13" glass baking dish with vegetable spray and place half the cubes of bread in the pan.

Cube the cream cheese and put on top of the bread.

Distribute one cup of fresh or frozen blueberries over the cream cheese.

Place remaining bread over the blueberries.

Beat the eggs, add the maple syrup and the milk. Pour mixture over bread and cheese.

Place plastic wrap over dish and refrigerate overnight.

Bake the "French toast," covered with foil, in the middle of a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 30 minutes, remove the foil, and bake the French toast for 30 minutes more, or until it is puffed and golden.

Blueberry Sauce

1-cup water
1-cup sugar
2 tablespoons corn starch
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (added to the recipe one cup at a time)
1-tablespoon butter To make the sauce:

Cook the water, cornstarch, sugar, and 1 cup blueberries until it thickens. Then, add one more cup of blueberries and the butter. Pour over individual pieces, slice and twist a lemon slice over the top for garnish, and let sit for 5 to 10 min before serving.

No comments: