Monday, March 28, 2011

It's all in the Apron & Grandma's Dinner Rolls

Pink Cottage Rose Josephine Apron

Grandma's Apron

By Tina Trivett

The strings were tied, It was freshly washed, and maybe even pressed.
For Grandma, it was everyday to choose one when she dressed.
The simple apron that it was, you would never think about;
the things she used it for, that made it look worn out.

She may have used it to hold, some wildflowers that she'd found.
Or to hide a crying child's face, when a stranger came around.
Imagine all the little tears that were wiped with just that cloth.
Or it became a potholder to serve some chicken broth.

She probably carried kindling to stoke the kitchen fire.
To hold a load of laundry, or to wipe the clothesline wire.
When canning all her vegetables, it was used to wipe her brow.
You never know, she might have used it to shoo flies from the cow.

She might have carried eggs in from the chicken coop outside.
Whatever chore she used it for, she did them all with pride.
When Grandma went to heaven, God said she now could rest.
I'm sure the apron that she chose, was her Sunday best.


     Who doesn't love an apron?  I have always loved aprons, and for years they have been hard to find until recently, recently the hostess apron has become fashionable yet once again.  Thanks to people like Jessie Steele at http://www.jessiesteele.com/ the aprons are main stream and easily accessible to everyone.  I love aprons, because it reminds me of so many memories.  My grandmother always wore an apron when she cooked, my mother always did as well, and continues to do so.  As a young girl I thought everyone wore aprons when they cooked, when I went off to college I discovered that aprons were not nearly as popular as they should be.  I was the only one of my college roommates that had an apron.

     I collect aprons, and love to have a large selection to choose from everyday.  I do wear an apron every day as I cook.  Aprons and high heels in the kitchen is the way to go, but as I cook I so often think of my grandma, and remember some of her recipes.  One of my favorite recipes of hers is for her holiday rolls.  She always made these for special occasions and now I do too.  These rolls are amazing with butter and jam or honey straight from the oven, mmmmm.....so good!

Grandma's Dinner Rolls

Ingredients

2 envelopes dry yeast
2 cups warm water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 large egg, beaten

Directions

Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl. Stir in granulated sugar and salt. Add 3 cups flour. Beat with an electric mixer set at medium speed for 2 minutes.

Add shortening and egg to yeast mixture and beat well. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.

Place dough in a greased bowl, turning to coat surface.

Chill dough, covered, overnight if possible, or longer.  Shape the desired amount of dough into balls.

Arrange dough balls on baking sheets. Let stand until double in size, about 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Bake rolls until lightly browned, about 12 to 15 minutes.

1 comment:

Charlie and Jessica said...

Your blog is wonderful! Wow, I ran across it through Foodie blogroll today, and I love how you pair the cooking with stories and everything else. This apron post reminds me of my Nana who loved to be in the kitchen, and for whom we used to sew and decorate crazy aprons for as a kid. Thanks to alzheimers she cant cook anymore. After reading this I would love to go back and gather some of her aprons to keep. Oh, and the rolls sounds so good too! I'm definitely a beginner at bread, but will try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!!