Monday, March 14, 2011

Easy Weeknight Dinner...Broccoli Leek Thyme Soup

     I love grocery shopping, it always sparks my creativity.  The possibilities are really endless, do I want to sweet, or savory, healthy or decadent?  I can not help but notice some of the other shoppers I see, I feel so bad when I see some of the other carts.  So many times I see an overflowing cart with a mother and couple kids in tow buying the groceries for the week.  What is in the cart?  I am glad you asked, the carts are full of soda, chips and processed foods, completely devoid of any produce, or fresh ingredients.  I can not help but wonder if this is why childhood obesity is an epidemic. 


     I do not want to appear judgmental, although I fear that I already have.  I am not a parent and I can not even pretend to understand the complexities of your responsibilities.  What I can attest to though is that with a little planning we can all have healthy meals on the table, and also save money.  The kids deserve better food, healthier food, face it we all deserve better.  I love to cook and I love the satisfaction that comes from having a nice home cooked meal.  When a friend cooks for me I appreciate it so much, because I love that they put forth the effort for a nice meal.  Like most everyone I appreciate my mom no more than ever.  What an amazing mother, she was and still is Every night she made sure we had a home-cooked healthy meal.  She made family dinners some of my fondest memories.

I want so much to help others learn to cook healthy and cost effective meals for their families.  With planning it really can become a reality.  I love soups, they are inexpensive and a snap to make.  Try this recipe, make it and see how easy it can be.  What are your easy no fail recipes?

Broccoli Soup with Leeks and Thyme

Ingredients

3 tablespoons butter
3 cups chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only)
4 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme,
1 1/4 pounds broccoli crowns, chopped (about 8 cups)
4 cups chicken broth
1 Tbsp garlic minced

Directions:

Melt butter over medium-high heat. Add leeks, garlic and thyme; sauté until leeks are almost soft, 7 to 8 minutes. Add broccoli and 4 cups broth to pot; bring to boil. Cover; boil until vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.

Puree soup in blender until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with leeks or sour cream.

No comments: