Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Be Yourself! Love From Scratch Roast Chicken

     So many times we cook or eat things because we feel that we should, not because we want to.  Life is meant to be savored, do what will make you happy.  For me my cooking style leans to almost an elegant southern dinner party type of cooking.  I love that, for others fusion cooking is their passion, experiment, try different things, see what sparks for you.  Sometimes in life, whether it be in fashion or cooking we get so caught up in trying to be perfect that we lose sight of being just perfectly ourselves.  When do we know we are good enough?  When do we know that we have found ourselves?  Why do we try so hard to be that which we are not, and resist so desperately what we really are? 


     I received amazing advice once from my grandpa, he told me that whatever I do to make sure I did it from my heart.  He told me to be myself and hold my head high and embrace who I am.  I try to follow that advice in all aspects of life. Right now I am living from the heart and cooking from the heart.  Try this recipe, it is a great Sunday dinner, add some roasted red potatoes  a green salad and a fruit dessert, so amazing!

Love From Scratch Roast Chicken

Ingredients:

4 lb whole chicken (cleaned out)
3 Tbs. butter, softened
Finely chopped zest of 1 lemon (reserve the lemon itself)
1/4 cup chopped herbs ( I use parsley, mint, rosemary and basil)
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 whole lemon
2 bulbs garlic (I love garlic)
1  tablespoon olive oil

Sauce

2 tablespoons minced shallots
1/4 cup white wine (optional)
3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock
Preparation:

Heat the oven to 450°F

Rub the outside of the chicken with about 1 Tbs. of the softened butter. Mix the remaining 2 Tbs. butter with the chopped lemon zest and herbs. Rub the butter on the inside of the cavity and under the breast skin.

Sprinkle the inside and outside of the bird with the salt and pepper. Pierce the whole lemon with a sharp knife and put it in the cavity of the chicken. Brush the garlic halves liberally with the olive oil and reserve.

Slip your seasonings under the skin  and rub the chicken all over with softened butter, gently pushing the butter and other seasonings under the skin without tearing it.

Put the chicken, breast side up, in a roasting pan, with rack inside. Cut the zested lemon in half and squeeze both halves over the chicken. Roast for 15 to 20 min., reduce the heat to 375°F, set the garlic halves in the pan near the chicken, and continue roasting for about 45 min. more for a total of about 1 hour or till the thermometer reaches  170°F.

Let the chicken rest while you make the sauce from the pan drippings.

No comments: