Monday, February 21, 2011

Food Love

     So here it is almost the end of February, and I have to say I am dying for the spring to come with it's warm weather.  I am just not a big fan of the snow, the cold weather makes me want to stay inside all day with a good book and a nice quilt.  Doesn't that just sound lovely right now?  Soon the spring will be here and the daffodils and tulips and hyacinths will be out in all their glory, until then snow and cold weather it is.


     I often go through phases on what my favorite food is of the moment, or what I seem to be using the most of in my cooking.  This month's food love is Mangoes.   I have always liked them and have always thought them to be a extra special treat, (they can get kinda pricey).  Anyway they have been on sale at my local grocery store all month.  What better way to beat the winter blahs then with a nice sweet mango?  It totally transports  me to another place, a warm beach with white sand and blue water.  One of the dishes that I have been making a lot is fish tacos with mango-lime salsa.  It is so easy and good for you too!

Mango- Lime Tacos

Salsa

2 roma tomatoes, diced
1 mango, peeled and cubed
1 yellow onion, chopped
Juice of 2 limes
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Filling

1 lb tilapia (you can substitute shrimp if you prefer)
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp chili con limon (or chili powder works too)
4 corn tortillas (6 inches each)
1 cup shredded purple cabbage
4 oz nonfat sour cream

Preparation
Combine salsa ingredients, and let chill for 30 min

Cut fish into cubes or strips. Whisk together oil, lime juice and chili con limon. Brush mixture onto both sides of each fillet; season with salt and pepper. Cook 3 or 4 minutes on each side until cooked through.

Fill tortillas with the cooked fish, garnish with cabbage, sour cream and salsa.

Serve rice and beans on the side.

No comments: