Wednesday, December 1, 2010

What I have been reading Wednesday.......

 
     So I love to read.   I mean I really love to read.   Reading is such a release for me, I always end up imagining myself into a whole new world when I read.  Lately I have been loving biographies, even though this book isn't a biography, it does have some traits of one.  I will admit that I am obsessed with Julia Child, she was amazing.  I have all of her books, all of her DVDs and my DVR records all of the re-runs of her old TV show.  No one is quite like Julia Child inside or outside of the kitchen.
 

     This book is actually a compilation of letters between Julia Child and Avis DeVoto during the time that Julia was writing "Mastering the Art of French Cooking."  It is fascinating to read the dialogue between the two of them.  You can see how the friendship developed, Avis and Julia were pen pals for years before they actually met each other.  For me I was most impressed my two things in Julia that is so evident in her writing.  One being her determination and perseverance.  She never game up, no matter how hard it got she still believed in herself and kept going.  The second thing that I was struck by was her amazing attention to every detail.   Read the book, you will see exactly what I mean.  Her letters are so detailed and precise, her care in making the book perfect is second to none. 
 
     Most importantly the book reminds me to never give up on your dreams, and never to give up on yourself either!  I strongly recommend this book, it is a great read for a nice evening at home, get a cup of hot chocolate, a quilt and curl up on the couch, you will love it!

No comments: