Friday, December 3, 2010

These are amazing.....

Microplane Classic Series Zester/Grater--Soft Handle


     I received my first microplane grater at a gift from a friend, who swears by these.  I figured a grater is a grater, how much more complex can it really get?   I am honestly hooked on my microplanes.  I don't have all six yet, I have three of them and I use them all the time.  They have proven to be way more useful than I previously imagined. 

As a single girl living on my own in an apartment, I totally understand a limited budget and limited to space to work with.  I have to definitely pick and choose what I have in my kitchen, everything in it has to earn it's rightful spot.  These microplanes have earned their spot, they are the greatest when you need just a dash of zest or just a sprinkling of cheese.  They are also great for smaller quantities of shavings, zest. etc., which is exactly what I have when I am cooking for one.  The handle has a nice feel to it, and you can use it for long periods of time without the fatigue of a normal grater.  I find myself using this with pretty much all of my baking, and whenever I make a sauce.  Each one has a different blade designed for a different item.  I use the black and red ones for my harder substances, my harder cheeses, chocolate, nuts, ginger, etc.  The pink one I use for my more delicate items, so my fruit and soft cheeses.  So many uses for these, try them for yourself!  This is one of my favorite dessert recipes that I use them to create.  These cupcakes are so addictive, you will love them!


Lemon Zest Cupcakes

1/2 cup butter
⅔ cup sugar
1 cup self raising flour
6 tbsp milk
2 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp grated lemon zest

Mix all ingredients together, beat well , until lumps are mostly gone.
Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden brown at 350 degrees
 Makes 12 cupcakes

Lemon cream cheese icing

1 cup cream cheese
3/4 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
1 tbsp lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon, grated

Slowly beat the cream cheese and icing sugar with an electric beater till creamy and soft peaks form.

No comments: