Sunday, December 19, 2010

Homemade Memories

     I know that at times I am totally nostalgic, I tend to reminisce over great times.  I have been thinking of different holidays that I have had and different gifts that I have gotten, and the homemade ones have always been the best.  I was thinking about that lately, as I have been helping a friend of mine make quilts for Christmas presents.  I love quilting and I think a quilt is always a thoughtful and appreciated gift.  A quilt from someone you love is like a hug that you can wrap around yourself on those days where nothing seems to go right.

    
     Two of my sister in laws one year made me beautiful quilt.  It is one of my cherished possessions.  I don't know if either one of them realize how much that gift meant to me.  They gave it to me during a time where I was really struggling.  Nothing seemed to be going right, and I was have some pretty severe health problems, and I was lonely away from my family.  Every time I see that quilt I am reminded of two amazing women who reminded me how grateful I should be for everything I have been blessed with, and reminded me again how amazing my family is.  It also inspired me to start making quilts of my own.  My goodness, it is so addictive.  I love the fabric store, I love to see all the pretty colors, and envision all the beautiful things that I can create.  Sometimes the best gifts are the ones where we give of ourselves.  I am trying to do more of that in my own life.

     What are some of the things that you are doing for the Holidays this year?   Any homemade gifts?

No comments: