Sunday, December 26, 2010

Happy Holidays! A few thoughts on the year...

     I hope that everyone had a wonderful Christmas.  I had a lovely Christmas, at my apartment with my darling little tree.  This time of year I always find myself reflecting on what happened during the current year, and what I would like to see happen for the upcoming  year.  2010 was a long year in many ways for me, but in so many other ways it rushed on by.  I learned a lot this year, mostly I have learned about determination and perseverance, never give up.  How easy it is to throw in the towel when the going is hard, sometimes it seems impossible to ride out the storm.  I hope that I can continue to move forward and not fall into complacency, or worse yet despair and self-pity when things do not go my way.


     Voltaire once said, "Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats."  How I love that quote, one of my goals is to be optimistic and to really have an attitude of gratitude.   This year taught me how many things I take for granted, and how very lucky I am.  Also I am trying to really reach for my dreams and not let my fears and doubts stand in my way.  When I was a little girl I was full of dreams, sometimes I wonder what happened to that little girl.  Nothing was impossible to her.


     I have made no secret of the fact that I admire Julia Child, what I admire most was her dedication and tenacity.  She did something that no one else thought she could do.  She  really was a pioneer in her industry and paved the way for so many others to follow.  Now I don' t  know  that I will ever be a Julia Child, because she really is one of a kind.  Yet I do think that now is the time for me to take my goals to the next level.  I want to cook, I want people to love and enjoy what I do.  I want to create memories for people.  I have been reading so many different cookbooks, some for specific techniques, others for specific regions of cooking.  Its time for me to be putting everything that I am learning into much more action than I have been.

     This weekend was amazing.  I spent a lot of time in my kitchen cooking, and as I was cooking I had a lot of time to reflect and think about things.  It reminded me again of how much I love cooking, and how much joy I get from it.  For some people cooking induces stress and brings them almost to a halt.  For me cooking is one of the most calming things that I do in a day, yet it is always an adventure.  There are always new combinations and techniques to try.  I can feel that now is the time for me to as they say down south "grab the bull by the horns."  Now is the time for me to move forward and do it fearlessly.

No comments: