Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A New Beginning.....full of promise, and full of dreams.

     Can you believe it, tomorrow is Thanksgiving?  Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday.  Part of it has always been that I have great memories associated with Thanksgiving.  Growing up with all boys, I was always Mom's trusty assistant in the kitchen, while the boys were either watching football, or playing in the annual football game.  My mother's Thanksgiving is a tradition, my mom has always been a traditionalist, we have the same meal that her mom used to make when she was a young girl.  Each of us children has always had a favorite part of the meal.  For some it was the dressing, others the turkey, others the side dishes, or others the desserts.  Well all of us have grown up and all of us have been out of the house for a while now, but Mom still influences us every Thanksgiving, well more like every day, but the holidays especially. 

    
     This year I do have so much to be thankful for, it was a big year.  It also the year that I turned the big 3-0!  It interesting to think about where I thought I would be at this point in my life versus where I am right now.  I certainly am not where I expected, but I am in a perfect place for me.  Things are just as they should be.  Right now I have my own little spot in the universe.  My own little castle, and I am determined to make is a beautiful place, a sanctuary, a haven.  Right now it is just myself, and my trusty dog taking on the world one day at a time.

     I'll admit that perhaps this year I have been nostalgic and thought my past and what I have learned, and then thought of all my dreams for the future.  I used to always dream about the white picket fence and cookies in the oven, or fresh bread baking.  I am a simple old-fashioned girl.  I've never cared about what type of car I drive or what designer label I wear, I have always just wanted a nice orderly home with everything in its place that is nice and inviting to all who come to visit, and full of good memories and great food.  so I have decided to blog, almost as a way of journaling as I try to create my own little sanctuary where I live.  Feel free to follow along as I make mistakes, and learn and grow.

     So, let me tell you a little bit more about myself.  I grew up in a fabulous family with all brothers with two parents that have been married for 35 years this week, (congrats Mom & Dad!), and a lot of nieces and nephews who I love dearly.  I realize that it sounds very 1950's ish, or like I belong on Leave it to Beaver, well I am who I am.  I love where I cam from, and how I was raised, it made me who I am today.  I am a very determined and strong willed person, which perhaps is just a nice way of saying stubborn.  I love to create and make things, there is something so cathartic about taking simple elements and creating a masterpiece.  I love to quilt, I love to arrange flowers, I love to entertain, but more than anything I love to cook.

     Seriously cooking is almost an obsession, cooking is such a sensory experience, the smells, the taste, the textures, the sounds of food cooking is total euphoria.  I am addicted to cooking shows, the food network is by far the most watched channel on TV.  I read cooking magazine after cooking magazine.  I collect cookbooks, I very often read them long into the night.  Many times people ask me why, I find great joy in cooking I love the artistry and skill that it entails. Cooking for me is a release, a release of the day to day grind, really the perfect way to spend an evening. 

     I have to confess though that I do have plans for what I would like to do with my cooking. I would love to be a chef, I'd love to cook all the time,but also I'll admit I'd love to be a Masterchef.  I would love to be on that show and I would love to get the opportunity to publish my own cookbook.  What an opportunity that would be!  So as with any goal you have to have a course of action, an plan of attack if you will.  I am going to practice my little heart out cooking, practice is what will make this dream a reality.  I am going to practice and practice and build up my skillset to be the best.  Follow along, hold me accountable and lets make it happen!

No comments: